Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Persica: A Beautiful Shop with a Worthy Cause



By Jessie Guilford

Etsy Shop: Persica.etsy.com

What struck me about Jessie Guilford and her beautiful shop, Persica, was the similarities Persica shares with Uncovered Artistry. Persica was founded by a business college student, like Angie and I (both business majors ourselves) who founded UA. Persica also donates 20% of profits from a few of her pieces to a domestic violence organization, just as UA is dedicated to empowering domestic abuse survivors.

With that said, please take a look at Persica's unique and gorgeous paintings, drawings, and jewelry at her shop!

What do you make?
I make necklaces and paintings primarily, but I'm always experimenting with new media.


Where do you get your inspiration for your work?
I'm inspired by materials. I'm currently in love with brass chain, amazonite, ink and white-out. Sometimes I find things that I know just have to be part of my art.

How did you become involved in your work?
I've always been making things, but last year I started selling my work on Etsy. I'm a currently a business student, and I felt like getting my hands dirty I guess!


What are you doing to help your community through your work?
I donate 20% of the profits from my drawings and paintings to the National Center on Domestic and Sexual Violence. I chose this particular organization because they work on a national level, but they also collaborate with local organizations. The NCDSV works with law enforcement and health care professionals, training them so that they can better help victims of violence. You can find out more about them here: http://www.ncdsv.org/


Why did you decide to make a difference through your Etsy shop?
Being involved in good causes is something really important to me, whether it be through donating, raising awareness, or just acting thoughtfully. It felt right to incorporate that belief into my Etsy shop on some level. I'm still a fledgling shop, but in the future I hope to do more.


What is your favorite item that you make?
How to choose? Almost all of my items are one of a kind, so I enjoy each one as I make it, but I find painting the most relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment